The attitude towards abortion has always been and still is very controversial. It has, however, changed throughout the history of humanity: for example, it was commonly accepted in the times of Ancient Greece and Rome. On the other hand, he majority of men were against abortion as they felt they were entitled to have a baby. There are a few references to abortion in an Old Testament, where a fetus was perceived rather than an object, not a living being. In other words, there was a law, that if a person causes a miscarriage, he must be punished for that. There are no references to this topic in the New Testament. Later on, abortion in the western world was not considered a crime if done before a certain period, usually before 18-20 weeks. It was a common practice in the colonial America, but was usually kept in secret, as sexual activity before marriage was disapproved by the society. The Abortion Act of 1967 in England fully legalized abortion, but under certain conditions. It states that a doctor has the right to perform an abortion if other two doctors agree that this is done for the sake of the woman. For example, doctors are sure that giving birth to a child will cause physical or mental harm to a woman. Still, there are lots of debates concerning whether abortion should be legalized or not.
The cons of abortion usually include the following facts:
- Abortion is a crime. Even if it is a fetus, it is still a process of killing someone who deserves to live.
- Abortion can often lead to serious complications, injury to the uterus or cervix if done by unskilled doctor, or serious infection.
- Some of the factors, including the above mentioned complications, can lead to a risk of not being able to become pregnant again.
- It is a stressful and unpleasant experience, and a person can feel depressed and guilty for the rest of the life.
On the other hand, there are facts that prove that abortion is legal and should be done in certain cases:
- Only a woman who is pregnant has a right to decide whether to do abortion or to keep a baby, provided she is of sound mind. Neither doctors, nor anti-abortion activists will have to take care of a baby, but it is a woman who has to decide whether she is capable and ready for that.
- The current stage of the medicine development enables doctors to detect any possible problems that a woman can have while giving a birth to a child. So, if doctors are sure that giving a birth to a child can be dangerous for a woman, they may convince her to make an abortion.
- The similar situation is with a baby. If doctors diagnose that a baby is very likely to have a disease after birth, a woman has to decide whether to make an abortion or to give a birth to a child, who can later on suffer for the rest of it’s life.
- If a woman got pregnant after a rape, then having an abortion is a way to get rid both of an unwanted baby and the psychological trauma after such a dire experience.
There will probably never be a clear answer to whether abortion should be legal or not, whether it is morally right, or if it is the biggest crime a person can commit. Anyway, people have to deal with someone else’s life, one of the most valuable things a person can have, so it is necessary to think carefully and consider every detail.
Tips on Writing a Research Paper Introduction on a Controversial Topic:
- To write a good introduction, you have to provide the readers with clues to what the paper is going to be about.
- Stay close to the point and keep the introduction short.
- As your topic is controversial, make it clear what position you take on the matter.
- Make sure that you conclusion and introduction coincide. Re-read the introduction and conclusion and compare them.
You can read about sample research paper on Abortion at our blog or order a custom research paper online, written by highly qualified academic writers from scratch.
5.00 avg. rating (91% score) - 1 vote
Tags: abortion essays, abortion research paper, research paper introduction
In the modern world, the debate on whether abortion should be legalized has dominated discussions for years. While some people see abortion as murder, others believe that abortion should be allowed in the case of ‘unwanted’ pregnancy. This is when the pregnancy was not planned, and the mother is either not ready to have a child, or the birth of the child may pose a danger to the mother and the child. When one participates in this debate constructively, you need to prepare a well-structured essay that demystifies the issues surrounding the abortion issue. Such an essay can be an important tool that people can use to support, or oppose, the issue of legalizing abortion.
A 5-paragraph argumentative essay on abortion should include the following five points:
- The first paragraph should introduce the debate and the contested issues concerning abortion. For instance, the writer should explain who supports legalization of abortion, and who does not. The writer should also give the reasons why people have these differing opinions.
- The second paragraph should explore one side of the debate. For instance, the writer can explore whether abortion should be legalized and whether such action of legalization of abortion will be a violation of human rights, ethics, laws governing the society, and the rights of any specific member of a group of the society.
- The third paragraph should explore the other side of the debate. In this case, the writer should explain why legalization of abortion is vital and the conditions under which it should be allowed. The writer can explain what the repercussions would be if the state does not legalize the issue of abortion and what society stands to lose by having a blanket ban on abortion.
- The fourth paragraph should explore the validity of the arguments that both sides provide. The literature on the issues that the writer raises in support of the issue of abortion and its legalization should be discussed. The writer can use legal arguments as part of its presentation, or, religious arguments to credit or discredit the arguments of both sides of the debate.
- The fifth paragraph should present the facts that emerged in the previously written paragraphs. Since the fifth paragraph is the concluding paragraph, the writer can give his/her personal opinion based on the facts presented.
Why not to try our professional essay writing service designed to help students with writing college essays. Get a custom paper on Abortion now!
0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes
Back to blogFeb 21, 2014
Filed under: Essay Help — Tags: 5 paragraph essay on abortion, abortion essays, argumentative essay on abortion — Joan Young @ 8:56 am