Sample resume for a real estate-to-interior design career change
This sample resume shows how a real estate agent can showcase new and transferable skills on a resume to make a career change into interior design.
Real estate agents can showcase new and transferable skills on their resumes to make a career change into interior design. To learn how, view the sample resume below and download the real estate-to-interior design career change resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's partner TopResume.
Additionally, you can learn more about real estate careers on Monster.
Real Estate-to-Interior Design Career Change resume template
AMY WEST | Interior Designer
Sometown, IL 60609 | Phone: (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
Award-winning interior design student, upcoming BFA graduate and certified home stager who is transitioning from real estate sales to a career in interior design. Repeatedly recognized for creative, conceptual and analytical talents; AutoCAD and design proficiencies; and exemplary work ethic.
Demonstrated success transforming client ideas into beautiful, functional design solutions. Experience leading design projects to finish on time, on budget and with excellent quality. Offer expert home staging, client relations, sales and negotiation skills developed as a licensed real estate agent.
Education & Credentials
ABC INSTITUTE OF ART — Sometown, IL
BFA Degree Candidate, Major in Interior Design | GPA: 3.7
Completed Design Courses:
Fundamentals of Interior Design
History of Architecture & Furniture
Rendering & Architectural Illustration
Lighting for Interiors
Design Basics 2D & 3D
Interior Design Studio
Certified Home Stager | Licensed Real Estate Agent
INTERIOR DESIGN APPRENTICESHIP
ABC Design Firm — Sometown, IL
Interior design group specializing in commercial and retail design
Design Assistant, 6/16 to Present
Completing an apprenticeship at a leading commercial design firm.
- Developed modern design concept for assigned client (an upscale, regional women’s wear boutique chain), winning acceptance and go-ahead for project.
- Coordinated the design and space-planning process, including oversight of fixture/furniture selection, code compliance and architectural details.
- Praised by both client and design firm for the creativity, functionality, cost-effectiveness and vision of finished project.
INTERIOR DESIGN PROJECT HIGHLIGHTS
— ABC Institute of Art —
- Won first place in student design competition for “Best Hotel Lobby Design.” Singled out among 50+ designs as the favorite by client sponsor (a four-star resort) and awarded $1,500 scholarship.
- Placed second in regional lighting-design competition. Built custom lighting fixture from scratch to earn recognition by a panel of professionals as one of the best designs among 45 entries.
- Conceptualized elegant, multitonal commercial wall covering using “green” materials that won honorable mention in design competition. Incorporated flexibility into design to enable its manufacture in virtually any color scheme.
- Completed a range of projects for studio classes, including:
- Selected as project lead in the design of a guest bedroom for “ASID Showcase House,” a biannual event sponsored by the American Society of Interior Designers. Led student team of four to complete bedroom design for multimillion-dollar home in exclusive suburb. Delivered a luxurious design while remaining within budget of $3.50 per square foot.
- Consistently recognized for expertise in using AutoCAD to complete all drafting projects (including floor plans, elevations, finish boards, renderings and construction drawings).
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE: HOME STAGING & REAL ESTATE SALES
XYZ REALTY — Sometown, IL
Commercial/residential real estate firm
Licensed Realtor / Certified Home Stager, 2014 to Present
Licensed Realtor, 2005 to 2014
Represent both buyer and seller interests in the sale of new construction, resale, foreclosure and multifamily residential properties throughout the Sometown area. Match clients’ needs with appropriate properties and provide exceptional service.
- Demonstrated expert home staging, prospecting and relationship-building skills, generating strong sales results despite a challenging real estate market.
- Earned credential as a certified home stager and leveraged talents in transforming homes to give the best first impression to potential buyers. Efforts resulted in quicker sales (typically 6 weeks vs. the current 4.5-month average) and higher profits (exceeding area averages by 20 percent).
- Delivered multimillion-dollar annual revenue growth for the past decade and earned #1 rankings and numerous awards throughout career, including:
- Top Listing Agent of the Year (out of 50-member XYZ Realty team)
- Five-time honors as Top Salesperson of the Year (out of realtor teams of up to 32)
- Seven “Multimillion-Dollar Producer” awards from the Association of Realtors
AutoCAD v Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop v MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
PORTFOLIO OF DESIGN WORK AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
If you have a liking for designing and creating a visual appeal to a space, then you can choose your field from the various career options available in the interior-design industry. The options are residential interior, industrial interior, and hotel or resort interior.
When trying a job as an interior designer, you must prepare your resume and a cover letter. The cover letter includes the most important details of your professional career in a professional format. It is basically a letter of introduction that helps the readers to envision your personality. It also makes your intentions, and beliefs clear about applying for the job.
Instructions to write an interior designer cover letter
- A cover letter should always start with your contact details, date of writing, and the receivers information such as name, title and address.
- The first paragraph should inform the readers on how you came to know about the job opening. If it is an unsolicited letter, then describe something about the company that made you to apply. Be particular when distinguishing the position you are interested in.
- Be precise and relate your skills and experiences to the employers needs. State the projects you have handled. Mention about your interior-design qualifications and internship you have done.
- Try to appeal to the reader with the look of your cover by applying your designing Let the readers see that you have applied your planning skills in writing the cover letter.
Interior Designer Cover Letter
1200 Light Color Road
East Haven, CT 65120
Phone: (444) XXX-8408 - Email: email@example.com
September 26, 2011
ABC Decorators, Inc.
2500 Lighting Street
East Haven, CT 65125
Dear Mr. Wright,
Considering this as an opportunity to showcase my skills and talents for the Interior Designer position, currently available in your organization, I take this liberty to apply my candidature for the same. I have reviewed the job descriptions listed in the advertisement. I am sure that with 11 years of experience in interior designing, I can exceed all your expectations with flair.
After doing my masters in interior design from ABC University, I joined as an intern in XYZ Design and worked for two years. I have helped the designing team in preparing presentation and layouts for residential and industrial projects. After successfully completing my internship, I got promoted to assistant interior designer. This designation gave me a chance of interacting with clients and understanding their taste and planning the design that fits their budgets. I worked at this position for another two years, and then I joined ABC Space Creators as an interior designer.
For the last seven years, I am still with the same company and have been promoted to senior interior designer position. I have designed and furnished hundreds of residential and commercial projects. Most of the projects were handled all by me with a team of six interior designers. Meeting clients, negotiating the proposals and quotation, and offering them the values for the money are some of the responsibilities I have fulfilled.
I am a reputed professional who can discern clients needs. This ability allows me to make clients comfortable and win their confidence. I believe there is no end in designing anything. All you need is the enthusiasm to explore it. That is why all my creations are full of comfort, maximum space usability and blend of modern as well traditional style. I have a unique talent and vast knowledge of colors, lighting, fabrics and textiles. And I use all these elements creatively while handling any projects.
If you are looking for someone who can play comfortably with the complexities involved in interior designing, then I bet you will never find anyone better than me. I am sending my resume and a portfolio of all my projects. Please take out some time and go through it. You will not stop yourself from calling me for an interview.
Trent J. Bell
This interior designer cover letter sample nicely conveys the writers experiences and skills to the reader. The readers can easily understand the type of projects the writer has worked on. Refer this sample letter and make your cover letter look great.